Logo

Old Minn Kota 95 needs new switch - wiring help?

vtcrappie

Hi, I have an old Minn Kota 36 lb thrust 95. Probably late 80's vintage. The motor head, wiring etc are all fine, but the switch recently gave out. There are no exact replacements -- it's a 5 speed forward, 3 speed reverse switch. I'm hoping I can use a more recent available switch.

The only problem I see is that the wires coming from the motor head up the tube are 5 in number, not 4, as the new switches expect.

They are red yellow black white, and BLUE.

One guess about the difference is that reverse is now handled internally with diodes in the switch rather than by switching multiple leads, where before it required switching an extra (blue) wire. If true, it may mean that two leads could now combine onto one terminal. Or it may be that the blue wire isn't needed, any more. But I don''t want to make any connections without first understanding the actual motor wiring first.

I do have a multimeter, and can test the leads against each other for connection and resistance.

Is anyone familiar with this older style 5 wire motor switch setup, or does anyone have any suggestions for testing and moving forward on this? I don't want to discard a perfectly good trolling motor, just because I can't switch it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Last edited:
Back