Logo

Mercury 60hp 1989 lower unit

billyboy1973

I have the l/u off able to move shift rod into all three positions drive shaft turns prop in forward and reverse same direction. I am trying to make sure before I put it back together is that norm or should prop shaft lock in both directtions when engaged.

I have the l/u off able to move shift rod into all three positions drive shaft turns prop in forward and reverse same direction. I am trying to make sure before I put it back together is that norm or should prop shaft lock in both directtions when engaged.
The drive shaft always turns in the same direction so it cannot do what you say, Unless it is stuck in one gear. In forward the prop should ratchet one way and lock in the other. In reverse it locks both ways and in neutral it free wheels.

The drive shaft always turns in the same direction so it cannot do what you say, Unless it is stuck in one gear. In forward the prop should ratchet one way and lock in the other. In reverse it locks both ways and in neutral it free wheels.
Thats what I was afraid of I thought it was suppose to ;ock while in gear and not free spin even in forward it drive shaft turns prop forward but does not lock when you turn prop in opposite direction also trying to figure out how to take out shift rod

Back