Logo

2006 115 hp 4 stroke . Gear case and engine oil leak

greenbomb

Removed lower unit and drive shaft . Busted gear set! Tilted Motor up and engine oil came out of drive case ( a lot ) . What a surprise as i had it tilted up when the lower unit was on and everything was OK .Or so i thought! There was a chance i did not tilt it all the way up then . Question is , is there a seal on the driveshaft that keeps engine oil somewhere in the block or does the driveshaft case have a pocket that will hold engine oil from an oil change and scare the crap out of you at a later date. I see what seems like a seal ( #21) in the parts view but there is no listing for it . Goes # 20 to #22 . Skips over # 21.

Hope you guys are having a safe 4th of July

Thanks in advance . Norm in Arkansas

Yes it will leak crankcase oil with lower removed....

If you have time could you explain why ? My guess is they installed a seal on the drive shaft below the splines to prevent the splines from rusting and sticking in the powerhead . My guess and i could be completely off Track. At 72 I'm still learning. I think!.

0656 hrs I see your up early on the 4th! I hope your having a Great 4th of July. Have a beer on me friend

Norm in Arkansas

Last edited:
Bought new lower unit as suggested Installed along with new water pump . Quicksilver lower end oil. Everything is doing fine now . My friend and i thank you> finished on July 3 . Made the 4th.
Help was greatly appreciated out here in the sticks!
Norm in Arkansas

Back