Logo

Engine issue HELP please. 45hp mercury classic 50

Riktheimpaler

Ok so first off I hope all have a happy 4th!

Mercury classic 50 45hp 1989
so I bought my boat motor trailer a month ago. Had it out on the lake and it was running awesome started right up. Topped out at 25 on an 18foot super wide deep V aluminum. Drove around for about an hour. Then when heading back to the dock it immediately stalled out when I put the controls into neutral.
got home put the muffs on and fired it up. Fired up no problem. Put it back out on the lake and it fired right up. Put into drive and it stalled. Did that 4 or 5 times. Switched the fuel tank (had new E10 gas and oil in it)Didn’t seam to do any good. I found that if I put the high idle lever up it would throttle up and down but not with the prop engaged. I was able to finally leave the dock by using the idle up lever and then switching back quickly and popping it into drive. Low rpms on the way out went well but as heading out I went up to full rpms and there was a lot of sluggish behavior and bouncing rpms. The engine would drop 1000 rpms on its own and then climb a bit and fall again. Boat wouldn’t go over 8-9 mph.
so I got home, pulled the plugs. All a little oily (2 stoke so I’m thinking it’s normal). All have spark. I pulled the fuel filter. Didn’t look dirty. I’m going to buy a new tank and put ethanol free fuel in it, put in a new fuel line and ball And throw in a new filter today.
any idea what might cause this kind of issue? This motor sat for the past 8 years being started up yearly just to lube the seals and such. Plans for the family to go fishing on the 4th is looking pretty grim. HELP PLeASE!!!

Last edited:
Try adding a 1/2 turn OUT on the idle mixture screws.

We see this all the time: the idle settings tend to lean out over time and, since these carbs lack an accelerator pump, they bog out when throttled up.

Jeff

Back