Logo

Tohatsu/Mariner 30 2 stroke charging coil

Berti

Hi folks, new to the forum.
Im looking for a little info from some of you guys experienced with these engines.
I have a Mariner 30M that im told is a Tohatsu 30 2 stroke, I have converted it to electric start as my partner struggled to start it and I also wanted it to charge the battery as well. I have got the parts and the charging coil I have has three wires from it yellow, white and black. I have fitted it all and connected it up but I do not know what the black wire from the charge coil is for. When running I measure 7.7volts on it.
Cheers Bert.

You will also need a rectifier/regulator.

Hi pvanv, I have a rectifier/regulator and I have it all up and running and it is charging. But not as I expected, with a meter I thought I'd see an output measured at the battery of 14-14.5 volts but instead I get the battery voltage increasing, eg starting battery voltage 12.5v, running 1/3 throttle in a tank for 3 or 4 minutes and the battery voltage has increased to 13.3v.
I was curious as to what the black wire from the charging coil was for, incase I had to connect it somewhere. The rect/reg has white /yellow that I have connected to the coil wires and it also has a black to earth and a red to positive.
Cheers Bert.

The alternator coil should only have 2 wires. If the black has aring terminal, it's ground.
The alternator is pretty puny, and the battery is big. A fully charged wet cell isn't 12v but rather about 13.2.
Also, your meter is not guaranteed accurate...

attachment.php

That is a pic of the coils that are the same as mine, the charging coil has white/ yellow/ black, and when I test the black wire while running I measure approx 7.5v on it. It has a female bullet connector on it.

Last edited:
Back