Logo

Shift shaft .

Mikey N.C.

Advanced Contributor
Books say 21 an3/32 or 5/32 short shaft . extra long shaft 25 an 3/32 or 5/32. Please explain how the counting of turns. Book says 4 . I don't have tool. But have a tape.. Talkinging about shift shaft turns.
Question is. Do u alway count turns ?
Our do u set by specs.

'96

Johnson. 150 ois 60° with 25" shaft. Book says 4 . Reinstalling this was off 2 turns .
At 26. 3/32 to 26 5/32. Wrong please tell me. ?

Last edited:
What book is giving you that dimension ?????-----Best to use the factory manual.-------Your dimensions is WRONG as far as I know.------Try 26 -1/4" ---no " turns " involved here.----It is a measured dimension !!

What book is giving you that dimension ?????-----Best to use the factory manual.-------Your dimensions is WRONG as far as I know.------Try 26 -1/4" ---no " turns " involved here.----It is a measured dimension !!

's right

According to the Seloc manual on the Boatinfo website 1992 to 1996, 60°, V4 and V6 motors , extra longshaft: 26¼", (with an acceptable range of ±[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]32[/SUB]")

Last edited:
That's what I set. Pin hole 26 1/4 from lower unit mating surface. Installed lower unit and shift shaft was 2 turns to low. Don't have to pull lower unit. To turn shaft

You never go by turns ..you go by measured distance..For long shaft 25" motors you add 5" to measurement and subtract 5" for short shaft engines. Throw 'that" book away and get yourself a factory manual.

That's what I set. Pin hole 26 1/4 from lower unit mating surface. Installed lower unit and shift shaft was 2 turns to low. Don't have to pull lower unit. To turn shaft
Sounds like you are ajusting shift rod when you should be adjusting control cable.

Clutch dog was rounded off on reverse side , with a little bluing and golden color. Forward side had the golden / yellow on the flats of dog but no rounding at edge.

You never go by turns ..you go by measured distance..
Yep, this is absolutely correct.

I ran into issues when I found my '96 Intruder 150 had a lower unit from a FICHT engine, which meant the shift rod was 1/2" too long for my engine. After installing the correct shift rod and setting the height using a homemade tool I then adjusted the shift linkage and all was well. What I found was the previous owner had the shift cable adjuster completely out of whack trying to make up for the rod that was too long.

Your long shaft engine should have a shift rod measurement of exactly 26 1/4". I made a tool similar to this one for set my rod height. https://youtu.be/Ufy6W9EI1cg

KJ

Back