Logo

batteries

jclays

Regular Contributor
Good Afternoon
Time for new batteries. Crusader 5.7 (350ci)
I am currently using the West Marine Dual-purpose batteries . CCA 650 MCA 750. Reserve min 150.
Interstate has a much better price on their Marine/RV batteries however the specs are a little different and I am wondering if I need to be too concerned
They are CCA 600, Cranking amps 750 They dont referr a MCA Reserve min 160.
Opinions????
Thanks
Jim

Good Afternoon
Time for new batteries. Crusader 5.7 (350ci)
I am currently using the West Marine Dual-purpose batteries . CCA 650 MCA 750. Reserve min 150.
Personally, I would use a dedicated cranking battery.... not necessarily a dual purpose.

Interstate has a much better price on their Marine/RV batteries however the specs are a little different and I am wondering if I need to be too concerned
They are CCA 600, Cranking amps 750 They dont referr a MCA Reserve min 160.
Opinions????
Do you have a two bank system? I.E., start load batt bank and a house load batt bank????

If so, I would use a dedicated cranking battery on #1, and use true Deep Cycle batteries on #2.

Thanks
Jim

For starting purposes, assuming your cables are adequately sized and in good conditions, the interstate should work...

I just replaced all four of my batteries. West marine group 27 dual purpose 650 CCA, 810 MCA, 150 reserve min. this is the 4th time in 16yrs that I replaced the batteries. I keep them all the same type and size because the charger seems to like it that way.

I just replaced all four of my batteries. West marine group 27 dual purpose 650 CCA, 810 MCA, 150 reserve min. this is the 4th time in 16yrs that I replaced the batteries. I keep them all the same type and size because the charger seems to like it that way.

Your on board 2 bank charger won't care if it's charging a wet cell cranking battery or wet cell Deep Cycle batteries.

We want to use a correct battery type for the intended specific use.

........ a cranking battery for engine starting.
........ multiple Deep Cycle batteries for the House Loads.

Personally, I would consider getting dual purpose, AGM batteries. I have to swap out my charger before I can do the same, but I can't wait to get the upgrade done.

That said, I never had an issue with Interstate batteries, and would prefer them to W Marine, given the choice.

Back