Logo

2019 Volvo Penta Trim - Air In System

Rusty Axle

Hello all,

I have a 2019 Volvo Penta 200.

In order to remove bits of impeller from the cooling system (don't ask), I removed the trim/steering cooler and water hose on the output side of the fresh water pump. I plugged the trim/steering hoses temporarily and left overnight to resume work the following morning.

After removing impeller bits from the hose and the sea filter and re-assembling the following morning, the trim motor ran but trim didn't move. Checking the trim fluid reservoir, I learned that the trim fluid had seeped past the bolts in the lines overnight.

So after adding a quart of proper trim fluid, my expectation was that the system would function. No such luck. Trim pump works in both directions, but trim doesn't change leading me to believe that air in the system is the culprit. Given that the reservoir is at the top of the motor I would have expected air to find its way out on its own.

Is there a bleed screw or similar on this system? The Operators manual is no help. I have a service manual on order.

Thanks for any guidance.

Hello all,

I have a 2019 Volvo Penta 200.

In order to remove bits of impeller from the cooling system (don't ask), I removed the trim/steering cooler and water hose on the output side of the fresh water pump. I plugged the trim/steering hoses temporarily and left overnight to resume work the following morning.

After removing impeller bits from the hose and the sea filter and re-assembling the following morning, the trim motor ran but trim didn't move. Checking the trim fluid reservoir, I learned that the trim fluid had seeped past the bolts in the lines overnight.

So after adding a quart of proper trim fluid, my expectation was that the system would function. No such luck. Trim pump works in both directions, but trim doesn't change leading me to believe that air in the system is the culprit. Given that the reservoir is at the top of the motor I would have expected air to find its way out on its own.

Is there a bleed screw or similar on this system? The Operators manual is no help. I have a service manual on order.

Thanks for any guidance.

Also - my assumption is that the trim system and the power steering system share the same fluid reservoir?

Also - my assumption is that the trim system and the power steering system share the same fluid reservoir?

Everything hydraulic worked fine prior to pulling the power steering oil cooler and water hoses located on output side of impeller. to clear it of the old impeller bits. So it would seem that the reservoir supports the trim system as well. But I'm new to this unit so don't want to assume anything.

Back