Logo

How to remover water pump idler pully withseized to bushing and pinion stud.

I figured I start a new more specific thread. I’ve been posting on “replacing water pump impeller and its V pump. But my question here is how do I remove the old idler pully (item 32 on https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury-marine-parts-catalog/sea-water-pump/assembly/1621/330?model=14 ) The pinion stud is seized and I can’t budge it. I have removed the lock nut and have cleared the area for access (removed water pump and fuel pump assy and a large water hose) there is only 4 “ in front of the pully so I don’t think I can use a gear puller. And there is =no lip on the pully so I cant use a standard belt pully removal/install kit. I have been PB blasting it and trying to pry off with screw driver but it wont budge.
Any thoughts or suggestions.

If the pully is seized to the bushing and the bushing is seized to the bolt, just cut everything off and replace with new

That was to be my last resort plan but maybe i should jump right to it. new bolt is stainless so would be hard but consiering the corrosion old one is probably mild steel. i'll let you know how i make out. thankjs again

new delema;
was going to try and hacksaw stud between bracket and pully. I can get a blade in there. However it seems as if t here is a boss on the brackety so hacksawing would cut into the boss.

However, I was now able to loosen the two bolts (#27 on diagram) whicjh connects the pully bracket to the pumps bracket. This is good because now i can take off the pumps bracket and assemble the waterpump off boat.
So, there is only one more bolt(#29) attaching the pully bracket to the block and unlike i thought before I have good access to it. However, of course it is rusted and siezed. I'm not quite sure of the head size yet. On the parts diagram it is a stainless .4375-20 (7/16-20). typically a 7/16 bolt would have a 5/8th head (i think). However ,the 5/8th feels too loose and if i tried it would round the head. i Tried 9/16 ths and 15mm both too tight. Only thing left is a 19/32 (not in my tool box) I dont suppose anyone might know what size wrench this bolt takes.

i would really like to get this bracket off and remove this pully on a bench and clean up the bracket. If i cant get this bolt off i may have to attack the pully with a dremel tool.

Last edited:
YAHOO!!! i finally got both brackets off annd out of the boat. Of course,i couldnt find a 19/32 wrench. I tried a 5/8ths extractor socket but the head wasnt quite rounded enough and there wasnt enough room for the long socket. I also tried a small monkey wrench but again not enough room. Finally with a short 6 sided 5/8socket which bareley grabbed and shock freezing the bolt for 30 secs with CRC Feeze-OUT she backed right out. Now I shoud have no problem removing the stud, bushing and pully, cleaning the adjustment tooth track, maybe painting soft steel surfaces and reasermbling with new stainless pinion stud, pully, bushing and water pump rebuild kit.

Thank for all the help.

One last question,
This whole venture started when i tried to start the engine in my yard with water muffs on the outdrive and no water was circulating out of the prop. Could i have been jumping to conclusions thinkins it was just the impelle (which didnt really look that bad when i goit it out. Is it possible that i didnt run it long enough for the thermostat to open up or should it immediatley start flowing out of the prop.

Thi is why I sailed sailboats for 50 years and stayed away from power boats.

Last edited:
Back