Logo

What's the low down on the throttle linkage? 1995 115

Roland J

There's a lot going on in the throttle linkage. Looks like 2 control arms. 1 for timing advance and 1 for carbs. I see what looks to be 3 stop screws and 1 idle screw. It also has the cable adjustment.

It's a lot going on. Is adjusting all this linkage a possible DIY project? I want to make sure it's all correct but I need to know what order these adjustments are made...

My boat has often times has been stalling at idle, when shifting. I went to adjust the idle up while on the lake and the idle was not responding when turning tha idle adjustment screw. It looked like the linkage was not returning to the seated position.

Outboard Mechanics in Atlanta are booked many weaks out so I'm tempted to give this a try.

The linkages rarely go out of adjustment.----What is the serial # of your motor ?-----I would start the trouble shooting with a compression test.----Post your numbers.

On the lake it was about 600-650 ish. A little hard to tell from my tach but like i said it would stall a good bit of the time. I tried to turn it up to 750rpm but when i backed off the Idle screw it wasn't changing. I noticed the bottom stop screw was not bottomed out which did not seem right so i left it alone untle i could know what all those stop screws do. I had just swapped props out so i did not want to do more to the engine before testing the new prop out.

In the driveway i was able to adjust the idle up with no problem the idle just backed out the idle screw and up it went. But its not under load and it seems too high 1300 rpm.

FWIW The prop swap was from a 3 blade 20 pitch SS LaserII, to a 4 blade 17 pitch Hustler Both 13.25. The top end trimed out went from 40mph to 36 MPH both at 5250 RPM with only me onboard.

Back