Logo

1972 Johnson 100 (100ESL72R) Electric Shift

So, been keeping this thing alive since granddad bought new. Learned a lot, but still have a lot to learn. Made my first attempt at swapping lower units when i lost a shift solenoid and made a big mistake on the install that resulted in bending one of the water tubes that runs up exhaust housing. I didn't have a feel for it and used the bolts to tighten it up the last 1/2 in. or so. Don't think i can salvage the tube that is there.

So, big question is, can the tube be replaced without removing powerhead and exhaust tube?

As a side note, the lower unit i am putting on his 100% good. I know because it is the original and operated perfectly when the wrist pin finally gave up on #2. This one can be rotated fine in either direction from the input shaft. The prop shaft on the other hand will not allow you to spin manually in reverse. Seems to hit a hard stop.

Lower unit #2 (with one bad solenoid, circuit open) operated fine until stopped shifting. Seems very loose on the gears as you can feel the teeth engage eachother as it is rotated. It spins both ways open with the input shaft as well as the prop shaft. -SO, should the prop shaft spin in reverse? Or could the mode of solenoid failure leave the gears in a position to allow this? Hard to see how since, as i understand it, the solenoids just change oil pressure. As a side note, this unit was running HPF Pro per trusted local dealer recommendation which i now understand to be big no no. Type C is way different.

Would also greatly love any tricks of trade when i go to reinstall this about getting those water tubes to line up and seat. seems like there must be a trick to it.

There should be plastic guide tubes in there.---They often sneak up the water tubes.---Look for them.-----When this motor is not running it will be in FORWARD gear !!!----Not sure what you mean by your question about spinning in reverse ?

Water tubes are attached to the powerhead adapter, and replacing them is a major chore. Yes, powerhead has to come off and exhaust housing has to come out of the motor mounts.

There should be plastic guide tubes in there.---They often sneak up the water tubes.---Look for them.-----When this motor is not running it will be in FORWARD gear !!!----Not sure what you mean by your question about spinning in reverse ?

The prop shaft will spin counterclockwise on the #1 lower unit (with dead solenoid and sloppy gears) will not spin counterclockwise on the #2 unit. I figured this out, and it was quite simple really once i realized water pump was installed on #2 and not on #1. Not surprisingly, takes a bit of force at the prop shaft to reverse the direction of the impeller particularly when dry. . .

The water tube guides were there, i aligned the copper tubes into the guide tubes and pushed up until the shaft engaged with the powerhead. I used the screws to pull up the housing to mate assuming the guide tubes would handle the rest, but the copper water tube got hung on the grommet or the impeller housing and got bent up pretty bad in the last inch of install. I should have lubed the grommet in hindsight and manually mated the lower housing with the exhaust housing or at least got them way way closer before using the screws.

stupid tubes . . .

Thought that was most likely my destiny. I have the original unit here with the powerhead off so I'll swap this over. I am pretty sure i can get to leave the powerhead fully or nearly fully assembled for the swap, might have to pull intake.

Back