Logo

1958 johnson rde-19 35 hp only ideal at start position

Usermike3969

My motor will only idle at start position any lower and it dies also don't sound right when running. When i got it I changed the fuel pump coils plugs points and condensers. Compresion was at 90 PSI I set points at 20 thousand and plugs at 30. Went to lake and ran decent. Wot it did very good around 25 mph. Idel was rough and if it idles more then a couple minutes it would die and wouldn't start back up for 5 minutes or so. After 2nd day it died at idle and wound start back for hours. Came home and rebuilt carb. And checked point gap and compression. it's at 90psi on both cylinders. Any ideas? I have reeds on the way for it.

Last edited:
Compression seems low.---Unless compression was taken with recoil and compression release active.----Might be as simple as adjusting idle mixture properly.---Or making sure that throttle does not open too early.

Compression seems low.---Unless compression was taken with recoil and compression release active.----Might be as simple as adjusting idle mixture properly.---Or making sure that throttle does not open too early.[/QUOTE

I think its a little low too but it was running fair then went to crap and compression stayed the same. It was taking with the starter not the recoil but my gauge is very old and leaks a little. I juat wanted to see if both cylinders where the same because the Manuel I have said to check that. I have checked the throttle it starts opening right at the line the book says it should. No amount of adjusting the idle jet helps. It does die if turned to far in or out.

Back