Logo

1994 Evinrude 90 HP couple of issues

socmat23

Good Morning All,
I Purchased this boat from someone who had it for a year and really knew nothing about it. It has a 90HP Evinrude on it. E90tlerc. I was looking it over because it does not like to run at idle, give it a little gas and and runs great! I checked the compression on it last night and I got cylinders 1-3 at about ~89 psi, and cylinder 4 at about 80 psi. Now granted I am using a harbor freight gauge so I don't know if that is why these seem low. After doing the compression test I let the motor run a little bit at very low RPMs, and then got a constant alarm going off. I believe this is overheating? if so is there a good way to diagnose if its water pump, thermostat or blockage? Or does it just make sense to replace them any way for piece of mind?
Thanks

Some will argue.------" a new to you outboard " needs a new impeller.-----Those compression numbers along with the history of these motors is a concern.-------I say pull at least one cylinder head to inspect the cylinder walls.-----If nothing is wrong a new head gasket is the same as 15 minutes shop time at a dealer !!!

The cover allows you to look at the water jacket.------The 10 bigger bolts allow you to remove the cylinder head to look at the working parts of the motor.

Back