Logo

Mariner lower unit-final assembly

I'm not a mechanic so bear with me here... my motor is an '87 Mariner 90 3 cyl 2 stroke. I was leaking oil from the prop bearings, so I changed the prop seals... I've ran into a few issues along the way but I am confident that everything is reassembled correctly... but upon reassmbling thebearing carrier, I am unable to completely tighten the 2 bolts down, and am left with a gap maybe 1/4" between the housing and the bearing carrier.... I do have proper F-N-R with loose bolts, but if I tighten even a ****hair more on either bolt, it won't go into reverse... should I now add the gear oil and try rocking F-N-R to see if that makes the gears mesh better, or is this that "backlash" that was mentioned a bunch of times in my Clymer's manual (which is about as useful as tits on a bull) ... Any help appreciated!!

Stop------Something is wrong.----Perhaps turn driveshaft when installing the carrier.
Ok thanks, I've already taken a break awaiting replies... i forgot to mention that I left the lower unit on when pulling the prop shift (a boat mechanic told me I could, and after finding all 3 bearings and cam follower pin, I'm back on track)... so I would have to drop the lower to turn the driveshaft, right?

No. Just turn the drive shaft or the prop to align the R cogs and slots on the rear of the clutch dog and front of R gear which have to be perfectly aligned to engage and allow the reverse linkage to fully engage.

No need to drop the lower unit at all.----If the lower unit is still installed you would have your assistant turn the FLYWHEEL and that would turn the driveshaft.----Too simple I think.----Or an 87 motor likely needs a new water pump impeller and the lower unit comes off for that job.

The rear thrust bearing will fall out of the groove in carrier and get squished and also cause this problem...pull carrier and inspect.

No need to drop the lower unit at all.----If the lower unit is still installed you would have your assistant turn the FLYWHEEL and that would turn the driveshaft.----Too simple I think.----Or an 87 motor likely needs a new water pump impeller and the lower unit comes off for that job.
I forgot how accessible the flywheel is on a boat motor, thanks!
And I already dropped the lower in the winter for a new water pump, I'm trying to avoid disrupting everything I've already done if possible.
If turning both the flywheel and prop shaft at the same time doesn't mesh the gears, would that be a backlash issue?

Back