Logo

Merc 110 9.8 recoil starter issue

Pat86004

I recently bought a mercury 110 to use as a kicker/trolling motor on my 18' ski boat. When I went to buy it, the giyvi bought it from fired it up, it ran great, but he wasn't quite fast enough on the choke, and it died. He then turned the choke off, started the motor again, and pulled the rope too far and yanked the cord out of the recoil starter. I'm now trying to rewind the rope (it's in good shape, just needs a new knot and rewound) and I csnt seem to find a write up anywhere on how to do it. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated

Ropes for manual starting engines of which I am aware are spring loaded to get the return. That means that you need to load the spring and load the rope and get the loose end of the spring in it's slot without it uncoiling, with the rope fully rewound, while you put the rope/spring fixture back on the block. You can test it before you install it. Just cycle the rope and it should return with an attitude. Direction is a no brainer as the cast parts involved will only accept the spring and rope in one direction. Hold it in the housing with your finger as you flip it over and set it down on the crankshaft.

I've worked on recoil starters before, but this one is a little different. I've been thinking about it all day since I quit working on it, and I think I've got it figured out. I'll try it tomorrow, and maybe make a video

Back