Logo

Ok it gets better Flywheel magnet broken in half.

Gasngo

As it says I was replacing some fuel hose and found a piece of metal/material about 1 inch by 1 inch with a slight curve. Curious and seeing some small shavings under the flywheel so pulled it off. Yep 1 coil coming apart and 1 magnet broke in half where the screw goes in it. Can the be replaced and are they even available. AAARRRGGG. I have a Honda dealer around the corner sorta Ill give them a call. Im all ears for input.

Thanks Brad

What model and year?
I'd be concerned about WHY the coil broke. Is there any evidence of.some sort of contact? Or do you think it just cracked on it's own.
This is a fairly unusual occurrence in my experience.
Check for excessive crankshaft thrust. Excessive thrust could contribute to this happening.

Good morning. I can see where it hit slightly on the exciter other than that everything else looks fine. The charging coils are in pretty poor shape visually. I found a flywheel on Ebay went ahead and picked up the coils and a starter just because it was cheap. Ill see if I can evaluate the thrust aspect of it. Parts should be here Monday. Ill report back then.

Thanks Brad

Excellent!

I wouldn't be too concerned about a thrust issue. It would be making all sorts of internal noises, not to mention making a bunch of metal shavings internally. That would make it a scrap short block pretty much.

Again, what is IT?
Model, year please. Others with the same outboard/ issue will want to know.
Thanks.

As far as ignoring crankshaft thrust...do so at your own peril. Lots and lots of engines running around right this minute with excessive thrust that COULD be corrected before catastrophic or irreversible damage if repaired. It's just another engine bearing that wears slowly and won't leave "metal shaving" in drain oil that you can see. The oil filter captures the wear media of those bearings and only lab oil analysis will "see" the microscopic particles.

If you do see metal shavings in drain oil it will be "hard part" pieces, not engine bearing media and that would mean you're probably done. That's what the bearings do....sacrifice themselves to protect the hard pieces.

Good luck.

Good morning back in the saddle if you will. The flywheel showed up early so Im about the get back on the project. The tag on the motor says BAZL 1006747 BF50A. If I read that correctly that makes it a pre 97 or at least what I found online. Ill see if can get any movement out of it [thrust]. Ill say this looking around the top of the motor I see just a faint or hardly any signs of shaving or any kind of wear. One thing I thought about and maybe the reason for this is I gave the motor a few revs while I was tuning. Not enough that would create any problems I would think. Old motor and has been sitting around a while. Ill update as I go I have some questions on carb sync which Ill start a new thread.

Back