Logo

Possible Fuel Issue

Redwhiteandlou

Hey guys, I’m new here so go easy. I’m running a 1997 2 Stroke Mercury OptiMax 225.

It has been running strong all season up until last night. Ran solid for 2+ hours until on my way in, at about 30mph, it immediately cut off. No sputtering or muffling, just shut off immediately. I waited 10 seconds, attempted to start it, and it started just fine. Continued in for approximately 3 minutes until it cut off again. Could not get it started again so I got towed in.

This morning she fired right up and idled without issue. I took her out of the harbor and as soon as I gave her some gas she cut out. I started her back up after 15 seconds or so and took her to the ramp to pull her.

Gas tank is 3/4 full. Oil can is approx 1/3 full. Spark plugs are not even a year old, nor is the fuel/water filter. Fuel lines were replaced this off season with no issue. Boat has ran great for a month prior to this incident. I will take any advice/suggestions! Thank you!

If you can get it when it won't start (and hopefully not in the middle of the lake) see if you have any spark. When one shuts off real quickly I think electrical first.

Pull fuel/ water separator filter and pour in a clear container and let it set. See if their is water in it. I've seen this happen before. Pick up tube in tank is 1 1/2- 2 " from bottom of tank. If there is water in tank it settled to bottom setting still. When boat starts out on the water. The water in bottom of tank starts mixing. If boat sets still 24 hrs. Water goes back down to the bottom of tank. Just a thought.

Back