Logo

1985 70hp evinrude

Seanfish

I’m thinking this is a simple worn throttle cable issue but would like confirmation from those who actually know for a fact.

idle(no load) is a little high at 1200, (in gear about 900) but functions just fine,. In/out of gear shift nicely and properly.

WOT does NOT open the carb butterflies all the way.

Turned trunion so that it does. WOT had been about 4200 rpm, (that’s more of a prop issue), I maybe picked up 200rpm at best, but lost the ability to shift to neutral and neutral aytempts to becomes a runaway engine not pushing the timer base all the way back. Had to turn it off in gear (at idle), pull timer base back and restart. Reverted back to where it was originally while on the water. It was late so unable to re-test.

will post video of what i am talking about shortly.

Disconnect throttle at the motor.-----Now operate / push linkages the way the cable would.-------How does everything move ?----I would not adjust anything if you are not sure how these linkages move !!!

Disconnect throttle at the motor.-----Now operate / push linkages the way the cable would.-------How does everything move ?----I would not adjust anything if you are not sure how these linkages move !!!

Everything operates fine, timer base arm does NOT return all the way to idle stop. It stops just short of it whether connected or disconnected. Exactly what you are seeing in the video. That video was before I made any adjustments and after noticing my rpms were holding steady at ~2k on a flushette. I took the cowling off wondering why this was occurring. Manually pushed it back to the idle stop and motor settled right down to around 1200 rpm on the flushette and stayed there.

I *think* my timer base is becoming sticky at that last push back to idle speed and was asking for confirmation from others who have far more experience than myself.

Will remove throttle cable and see if it still sticks sometime this week.

Last edited:
The way you were operating the linkage in the video is NOT the way the linkage operates when the cable and control box move that linkage.-----Make no adjustments if you are not sure what you are adjusting !

If no adjustments are necessary then I have a couple questions

1) why am I at 2000 rpm in neutral on a flushette and ~1500 in the water.
2) why does throttle not fully open the carburetor butterflies?

I understand how the linkage works. That video was me attempting to find the issue before I understood how everything traveled.

I most certainly respect your opinion as you have likely forgotten more about this motor than I care to ever learn. These are from throttle alone and I touched nothing. The following picture is wot returned to neutral, I have not touched it at this point. If I’m not mistaken, that SHOULD have traveled back to the mark. Is that correct?

B80E43AB-2432-4F92-9EDE-5FD32BBAD5CB.jpeg

You need to adjust that black " wheel " on the cable to slow the motor down.----Turn it one way will be wrong.---Turn it the other way will be correct.

You need to adjust that black " wheel " on the cable to slow the motor down.----Turn it one way will be wrong.---Turn it the other way will be correct.

10-4. That was my thought and the adjustments made to get to fully open the carbs. Lost the ability to shift into neutral, and idle rpms went way too high, so i went back to where I started which was far better than my adjustment.

This is shift into/out of gear properly, idle in neutral at 12/1300, 8/900 in gear, top end is 4200 (this is now a confirmed a prop issue). I was not sure if it was a prop issue or carb butterflies not fully open issue previously.

If after adjusting cable as Racer requested it still does not come back to idle stop screw you need to inspect control box.

Didn’t get a chance to disconnect cables, but I know I adjusted one thing and one thing only, so put it back where it was. Pics in following order are WOT, then back to idle...comes to roughly 1/64-1/32” of idle stop. Probably a 1/4-1/2 turn on the screw if I were to adjust it.

Attachments

• 7C9552B9-92B7-407A-8434-3B3B1836ED79.jpeg
    7C9552B9-92B7-407A-8434-3B3B1836ED79.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 17
  • EB56E038-DF25-412B-886E-4FC5F329861A.jpeg
    EB56E038-DF25-412B-886E-4FC5F329861A.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 17
Back