Logo

2002 Johnson 50hp outboard - died while in water

robnauman

Hello all,

First time boat owner here and have a 2002 Johnson 50hp that died on me while out on the water this past weekend.
Ran fine and then 1 tank ran out of gas, swapped tanks and was doing good until we went to take it to the ramp. It lost power completely and then died on me.

I have changed the spark plugs and put in a new filter so far and still no luck. It turns over and acts like it wants to start but can't seem to get it going. I do not seem to see a kill switch on it to check but maybe I'm missing it some where?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Has a VST chamber with high pressure pump. When u turn ignition switch to run . SOMEBODY listen for high pressure pump in VST to hear if it's running for a for a few seconds

Ok, check for high pressure pump coming on with key turned to on position. If it's not , check fuel pump fuse. Take fuel sample from 2nd tank to make sure no water.

Well sorry everyone correction it is a 2 stroke and found out it is late 90s not an 02

Did compression test and seems my top cylinder has no compression, so assuming rings/piston shot now? Any other suggestions?

There you go------Nothing like accurate information to get good results.----Perhaps a blown head gasket.---But rebuild is most likely.

Money decisions can not be made for you.----I know in here it would not cost very much.---Have all the parts / parts motors on hand !

Back