Logo

1958 Johnson Seahorse 5.5 hp packing nuts

CD-15

Not sure how to know when the packing nuts for the high and low speed needles are properly installed. I have tighten the nuts to the point the needles will not turn and then backed the nuts off to the point they will turn. Is this it? I have just rebuilt the carburetor and haven’t tried to start it. What I have done seems to be less than and exact process. A little help on this issue would be appreciated.

The packing washers are there to keep the needles from turning by themselves during engine operation.-----To tight is no good.----Too loose is no good.----Yes it is that simple.----If it takes a bit of effort to turn the needles you are good to go.

Okay, took the engine out for a test and it ran beautifully in all speed ranges after adjusting the low and high needles. But after running for about 15 minutes it was very hard to start. Ran for about another 10 minutes back towards the marina and stopped to see if it would restart. Couldn’t get it to start the second time. After it is started it runs really well.
Ideas... 1958 Johnson Seahorse CD-15.

Probably weak spark. Try removing the plugs and check for a nice strong crackling whitish-blue arc to 3/8" distance. With weak spark it may be easy to flood so if it won't start pull out a plug and check to see if it is wet. Coils have probably already been replaced so the problem might be the points.

Probably weak spark. Try removing the plugs and check for a nice strong crackling whitish-blue arc to 3/8" distance. With weak spark it may be easy to flood so if it won't start pull out a plug and check to see if it is wet. Coils have probably already been replaced so the problem might be the points.
Thanks — I am not a mechanic but with the help of folks like you and the marine engine team I am boldly going where I have never been.

We all started out just like you. Research, ask questions, find the best mentors.....that's what I did and still doing. This forum is full of experience and talent. Let's get your little 5.5 horse fixed and running.

Thanks so much. I have been in the garage trying to figure this little problem out. I have a good spark and now think it may be a fuel issue I seem to have a small leak coming from somewhere so I reworked the carburetor and the packing washers. I will give it a test run tomorrow.
We all started out just like you. Research, ask questions, find the best mentors.....that's what I did and still doing. This forum is full of experience and talent. Let's get your little 5.5 horse fixed and running.

Back