Logo

15hp outboard honda 2004 power to motor but dead and no trim or tilt as well

fishsqueezer

I was out trolling with the motor the alarm went off. I started back up ran perfect the rest of the trip. Next time out go it to trim down but dead to start after that nothing completely dead. My motor is completely dead. There is power coming into it. I have checked the fuses in the motor, they are good I even put new fuses in nothing. Any ideas as to whats going on. I need help in troubleshooting possible cause

This sounds like a classic case of loose or corroded battery cable contacts. Take off BOTH ENDS of each cable and clean them AND the contact point they attach to with a wire brush.

For example: use a battery terminal cleaning tool for the battery posts if you have those and the positive and negative cable ends where they attach to the starter and engine block.

CLEAN AND SHINY is what is needed for reliable contact.

DON'T skip doing the negative end just because it's a bit harder to get to. It is just as important as the positive end is.

Try this simply CHORE and see if it doesn't help you get going.

CLEAN AND SHINY!

Good luck.

While you are doing that, rapidly bend each cable back and forth. If you hear a crackling sound, the cable is corroded inside under the sheath. Replace it.

Back