Logo

88hp Evinrude cutting out under Load.

Jerydm

Hi all, long time reader first tome poster.

i have a 88hp evenrude Model#E88MSLCUS. Bought the motor this year with a 18fr Starcraft. Engine ran great up untill this last couple weeks, noticed one day when I was planing off and engine started cutting in out almost like it was starving for fuel. So I decided maybe I’m loosing prime while I’m throttling up so I bought a new line and primer bulb. Installed that and still had the issue. Next I talked to a local mechanic and he said for the fun of it change all 4 plugs and see how it runs. Well I changed all 4 and it out for a spin and it didn’t skip a beat! Ran like this for 2 days, on the 3rd day the cutting out issue came back, at the dock I can rev it out of gear and it runs great. Only under load this happens. From about 1/2 to full throttle sometimes it’ll run great, only when I’m planing off it does this. Can anyone tell me what might be happening? I’m mixing 50:1 so I wouldn’t assume I’m fowling plugs but maybe???

any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Primer bulb works to fill carburetors with fuel.----After that the bulb does NOTHING !------Test run with the cover off.-----Also hook up a timing light one cylinder at a time and observe spark.----reving it up in neutral proves nothing !----And post the results of a compression test.----Perhaps test run with a portable tank instead of your main fuel tank.

Primer bulb works to fill carburetors with fuel.----After that the bulb does NOTHING !------Test run with the cover off.-----Also hook up a timing light one cylinder at a time and observe spark.----reving it up in neutral proves nothing !----And post the results of a compression test.----Perhaps test run with a portable tank instead of your main fuel tank.

okay I will work on getting these things done, thank you

Back