Logo

Ordering Yamaha Parts for a 1985 8 HP Yamaha-Built Mariner 2-Stroke Outboard

SteveRI

Question concerns my 1985 Yamaha-built Mariner 8 horsepower, 2-Stroke Outboard (serial number 6G1 S 021533) that needs waterpump replacement.

Mariner parts-ordering site shows some needed parts as unavailable. I understand that Yamaha built this outboard in 1985. Is it perfectly fine, therefore, to order the needed parts at the page for Yamaha outboards (which has the needed parts available)?

If so, should I get them from the 1985 Yamaha 8HP category (8SK)? Or does a different Yamaha parts year better match this 1985 Yamaha-built Mariner outboard?

Second question is the order for installing the new waterpump parts.

My Mariner repair manual exploded drawing for this motor shows the order (from bottom to top) as Outer plate, gasket, impeller.

When I pulled out the lower unit, however, these items were in a different order (from bottom to top) which was gasket, outer plate, impeller.

I suspect that somebody put them in the wrong order the last time the waterpump was work on.

Anybody know which is the correct order? Also, the repair manual mentions 2 gaskets, but the drawing (and the parts website) show only a single gasket.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Your motor is a 1982 jap mariner .mercury/mariner 1978 ,1984/5/6 also use the same pump .Yamaha 6 hp and 8hp models beginning with M/S/L1985/4/6/7/8 use the same pump go and buy the 1985 8hp SN .if the pump cover does not have a rubber o-ring in it then put the gasket as per your drawing. one gasket goes on top of the stainless steel plate and another gasket goes on the bottom cover inlet it sits on top of the gearbox .

Last edited:
Tegweni (or any other knowledgeable folk) if you have a moment, would you be so kind as to let me know if I can substitute all 1984 HP SN Yamaha parts for other neeed components of this 1985 8 HP Japanese-built Mariner. I ask because I recently noticed there are other parts that need replacing which do not appear to be available at any online Mariner parts websites.

Thanks again.

Back