Logo

Volvo Penta AQ130x identification and replacement ignition coil

Good afternoon all! Looking for a bit of help...

I have a 1978 Chrysler Sport Fury with an engine variously labeled with 130 on the carb cover and valve cover, and B18 forged into the block. Outdrive is a 280.

I read the sticky thread about identifying versions, but I cannot find any plate riveted to the engine. I have dual carb so I suspect either AQ130B or D, but how can I know for sure? Sometimes I see that the AQ130 should be a B20, and that the B18 is AQ115 so I'm lost.

The boat (and motor) sat out in the sun for five years and I'm trying to rehabilitate it for fun. I've replaced the failed starter motor and a handful of leaking freeze plugs and it's now turning over, but per my spark tester I'm getting no spark.

How can I know what kind of ignition coil to use as a replacement? The current coil measures zero ohms across primary winding, and it has Bosch 221 119 039 stamped on the side...

This forum has already been a huge help to me and thanks in advance for any responses!

Your ignition system was OEM with a resisted coil voltage. If the resistor is still there, then you'll want a coil that requires external resistance.

Thanks for the input y'all.

I ended up grabbing an Intermotor E40 ignition coil from the local auto parts store (which does not require an external resistor), and I measured voltage from coil positive to chassis ground to be 12 V when ignition is in "ON" position, so the original ballast resistor is no longer in place.

Well I was still getting no spark so I cleaned up the entire electrical system on the motor. All the spark plug leads scrubbed with a wire brush and distilled vinegar followed by alcohol, the distributor cap contacts basically the same thing, and now I'm getting spark on all four cylinders!

I can tell it's trying to start, but it just can't stay running. I decided to take a look at the valve train and there's chocolate milk all over the place, so I probably have a failed head gasket. It can't stay running probably because one or more cylinders is not getting proper compression, or there's coolant getting into the cylinders.

I still do not know for sure which version of AQ motor this is, since it's stamped with both B18 on the block and 130 on the valve cover and air box. I'm going to order an aq130D gasket kit and hope for the best. If it doesn't fit I'll get the AQ115 kit, or maybe just order a B18 kit.

Wish me luck, and thanks again everyone. I'll try to update with progress or problems to document in case anyone in the future fine themselves in my shoes.

Back