Logo

Frozen screws for motor covers BF20D

BarryK3

Contributing Member
Hi all,

I can't remove several of the screws that hold the plastic side covers on. I need to get access to the oil filter and the starter wiring. I tried PB Blaster but the screw threads are not accessible from the outside. I also tried an impact screwdriver but they won't budge. Boat lives in the saltwater full time. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barry

Keep working the PB Blaster. I've had some that have taken several days to get them to budge. Once you soak heads in PB Blaster, fit a correct fitting screwdriver or dowel on the head, and tap it a bunch of times with a small hammer. The vibrations on the shaft of the screw helps the Blaster penetrate the threads.

Keep soaking them. PB a good product there some better ones but Im brain dead at the moment and I can remember the name. It sounds like they will strip or break before they come loose. A pic would be good. Can you drill the heads off then you could grab the thread with pliers or something. Redneck I know but if they dont come out them you will have to resort to something a little more drastic. If you can get a small portion of diesel and mix it with some ATF that makes a pretty good DIY screw loose.

Impact driver always works for mr but if you aren't careful and booger up the screw head you will not get them out easily.

If you have to remove the heads, using a dremel with a carbide ball bit is the best way to get a hole started without marring up the cover and having a drill bit wandering all over on you.
You have to be careful of the carbide bits because they break off easily and aren't cheap.

I even keep a set of left handed twist cobalt drills for frozen fasteners. Often the heat of drilling helps free up the threads and the left hand drill rotation backs them out as you drill.

There is a product called AERO KROIL made by KANO LABRATORIES that does work better than PB Blaster. I have a gallon of it but they sell spray cans. It's expensive and you used to only be able to buy it mail order. But I think I've seen it on Amazon recently.
They print right on the container; "The oil that creeps" and it does. I've proven it many times when using the stuff. It's amazing how it works it's way into impossibly tight, rusted up places.

But...IF you're in a rush....it's not fast at all. I have waited up to a month or more for it to work on frozen sleeves on shafts. It's just the way it is. Heat speeds up the penetration of KROIL and PB Blaster but it's not really an option around those plastic covers.

When you get the screws out, replace them with socket head screws because they will be hard to get off next time too. I think HONDA now ships the newer engines equipped with socket heads because those little Phillips screws are such a pain.

Now...if they would only use something more user friendly on the gear case drain and fill screws that would be a big improvement too.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I also had some Seafoam Deep Creep penetrating oil in the garage and that along with an impact screwdriver did the trick! I have a bottle of Kroil and that stuff is great too but I left it at the marina. All of the screws came out except 1. That one had damage to the Phillips head from the previous mechanic and the driver would not engage. I drilled it a few mm with a left hand bit, still no movement. I tried an Easy-Out and was able to get it out.

I will pick up come socket heads!

Any advice on a corrosion blocker to spray on the various engine bolts? Several of them are pretty rusty.

Thanks everyone,
Barry

Perseverance Pays! Good for 'ya.

I use CRC 6-56 as a corrosion blocker on my outboard (and fishing rods and reels, too.)

Yep, glad you got it done. Hadn't heard of Sea Foam Creep. I might try some. I like to save my KROIL for only the toughest chores.

I don't have a recommendation for anti rust spray but I'm positive that you can't go wrong trying anything chawk_man suggests. He knows what's what.

Back