Logo

HELP a NUBIE

$$BOAT$$

I need help.... just bought my 1st boat. 89, 160br, SeaRay, with the 3.0 4cyl. The engine was just rebuilt. I took it out on its maiden voyage, on lake washington. Ran it for 15-20 min at varying engine rpm. I noticed it was getting warm, past mid way of middle of gauge. Turned it off, got towed back, didnt want to damage it. So, I put on the "ear muffs" today, and I am not getting flow thru anything. It's like something in the outdvive is "closed"????? Any ideas??? Its a mercruiser

If a vane breaks off the impeller it can block water flow out of the pump.when you change the impeller if it is broken make sure you find all the pieces back flush from thermostat housing

Well shoot. Any resources on here on how to check that impeller? I assume it's in the stern drive? Is the water inlet to the tstat housing the top, 1" hose?

Well shoot. Any resources on here on how to check that impeller? I assume it's in the stern drive? Is the water inlet to the tstat housing the top, 1" hose?

Ayuh,..... That's right, the raw water pump is on the top of the lower unit, 'n that hose is from the raw water pump,.....

The guy I bought it from, boat engine rebuilder that sometimes "flips" boats, is gonna replace it for free, if i supply the parts. But, what hose are you referring to? On the tstat housing i saw 3. The top one went towards the back of the engine, the big one to the engine water pump, and the last one fed the exhaust manifold. All 3 look ok, but......

Last edited:
The guy I bought it from, boat engine rebuilder that sometimes "flips" boats, is gonna replace it for free, if i supply the parts. But, what hose are you referring to? On the tstat housing i saw 3. The top one went towards the back of the engine, the big one to the engine water pump, and the last one fed the exhaust manifold. All 3 look ok, but......
It’s around 2:45 in video it’s in upper part drive not thermostat housing.

use OEM merc impeller parts not aftermarket. This guy doesn’t put much work into the boats he flips as impeller is the most basic preventative maintenance item. Let him replace it but might be worth having another mechanic take a look and make sure no other low hanging fruit has been over looked.

Back