Logo

Sea Star HH5271 fittings

baddog1016

Regular Contributor
Hi, my boat has a Sea Star HH5271 2.4 helm pump that was leaking from one of the fittings. The fittings as installed were 1/4"NPT nipples with elbows and adaptor fittings to the hoses. Short story: one of the nipples broke off. I've drilled it out and will get it to work but while looking for information the Sea Star about the pump the drawings show a warning cast into the pump that says "DO NOT USE 1/4" NPT FITTINGS". My pump does not have that warning cast into it and so my question is did Sea Star use 1/4"NPT fittings (the boat is a 1999 Dusky) at some point? I'm not sure what was used for sealant on the fitting but I've ended up having to drill and tap it.

I believe Sea Star switched from NPT to ORB fittings on their steering pumps within the past 10 years. I replaced my push-pull steering system with a Sea Star hydraulic system in 2016 and there were lots of warnings in the instructions about not using NPT fittings where an ORB fitting was required. In your case, if you are dealing with a pump from 1999, it probably is NPT.

I recommend calling or writing Sea Star support about it. I talked to them when I was doing my project and they were super helpful.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/support-2/technical-support/hydraulic-steering/

Back