Logo

Merc 110 &.5 HP two cylinder vs 1 cylinder

Ky Howard

Contributing Member
I have two Merc 110 Series Redline outboards. Both are 7.5 HP motors but one is 1 cyl and the other has 2 cyl.

The single cylinder motor (3767948) checks as a 1973 model
The two cylinder (3003788) checks as a 1971.

Does anyone know if they went from the 2 cylinder design in '71 BACK to the single cylinder in '73 and if so why ?

Interesting. I did find the two cylinder did have a 9.8 sticker over the 7.5 but the single cylinder looks like factory markings. I'll see if the sn/model # matches the 4 -4.5 hp list Thank you guys.

It is always amazing how folks answer to the information.----They never marketed a single cylinder 7.5 model.----The decals are fooling you.

I had a 4 or 4.5 (forget which) and a 7.5 back in the 70's and I assure you they were as "fast and racer" said, single on the smaller one and twin on the larger one. I had a 10' Lowe Lake John at the time and the little one was for the kids when we went camping and the larger one was for me running trot lines. Wife and I fished with an 850 (smooth 4 cyl) on a 16' bass boat which matched the year model and decals of the other two.....decals were red, silver, blue, stripe, falling at an angle at the aft end and Mercury was spelled with a small "m".

I assure you the difference in 1 piston does make a difference......to me....Ole Evinrude proved that years ago and built his engines as alternate firing twins.....down to his 3 hp with the 30* sloped drive shaft, weedless propped, fisherman. His only problem was that he limited that lower unit to 3 hp. A 5.5 or 7.5 would have been a great seller as that was back before the days of trolling motors and the 3 was ok when back in the weeds, moss, and lilly pads, but getting there was the problem....way too slow.

Last edited:
Factories build what the general public buys.-----I am sure that most folks were happy with a 3 HP they could afford.----Had to leave bigger motors at the store.

Back