Logo

Shop threw away my risers and manifolds!

Fishmaster23

Regular Contributor
I had a new engine installed in the boat and not only did the shop over charge me on the labor, by an astronomical amount, they also threw away my manifolds and risers on the old engine. They said they're required by law to keep the old parts for 90 days. Well I came back like a month later well within the 90 day period after having the new engine installed to pick up the old engine and they lost the starter, luckily I found it. I don't know why they didn't keep it all together. They set the old engine on the pallet the new engine came on, so it's not like they couldn't have put the risers. on the pallet with the old engine. This was back in November so I guess it's too late to do anything now, but maybe I can pass this lesson on to others. When a shop removes your engine for replacement, go get it! lol

Opinions? What can be done? I think i'm sol now because their isn't really any way to prove anything. Maybe next time call the cops to the shop and have it documented? Only reason I didn't take them sooner was because they're heavy and i can't really lift much these days.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you are not happy with this shop!

My suggestion:
Always ask for, and be willing to pay for, proper diagnostics up front.
If not diagnosing an issue, and simply having work performed, ask for a work scope quote, NOT an Estimate!
Do NOT authorize any work without having signed a work scope that references the diagnostics and/or work scope quote.

If old parts are to be returned, make sure that is included in written form.

Perhaps look at it this way:

The old engine was probably worth no more than what the cores (block, heads, crank, etc) would be worth, and if it had been Raw Water cooled, even less.

If the old exhaust manifolds and elbows were at the end of their service life, they were worth close to zero.

And...... these parts are not sitting around your place taking up space now!

I would not make a huge issue out of this.
If you have warranty issues with this new engine/installation, you don't want to be on their bad side!

Back