Logo

1992 40 Mariner Magnum Limp Mode

During testing a couple of weeks ago, engine dropped power while running... felt like less than 1/2 throttle worth of power. couldn't plane, etc. engine didn't die. no warning whistles... water pump pissing fine.

as i nursed it back to landing, i found that if i dumped fuel in with the key primer and released the primer, it would run the rpms back up, but as that fuel burned, i came back down to the low rpm.

mechanic thought it might have a rev limiter i hit while running and that pushed it to limp (and if i had turned off and on, it might have resumed normal operation).

I'm just trying to find out... do these engines have a "limp mode?" and if so, what's the reset?

Thanks for the answer :)

As i'm doing a bunch of investigation to pick a new prop on this thing... I know the WOT range is 5000-5500 rpm. Do you know... in that range of 500 rpm... is there a peak point for power? In my prop options, i know i can get near the top middle and bottom with different pitches... i just didn't know if there was a peak torque or power like at the bottom, top, or so 5250 in the middle.
Also.. i know the WOT rating... but is there an rpm max? or does the peak number of 5500 count as max?

Back