Logo

Starter on a Mecruiser V8 5.0 carb

A year ago I experienced a starter dying, at first not working eventually, then starting slowly as with a weak battery just in time to get back to port, then never again. New starter and I was surprised how strong it sounded at first. Lately I have had to turn the key twice or three times before it did start, then it did not work at all. This was while the engine stalled when engaging a gear. After checking cables and such I disabled the shift support and not only nly it stopped stalling, suddenly the starter turned the engine happily. Surprised I reconnected the shift support and .. starter had no life. Disconnected, all was good. Coincidence I must assume, also because after two hours of use the engine was working perfectly while and after shifting, with shift control connected and also the starter works regardless. Should I worry and replace the starter (original spare 12 months old never abused) or would that be too much caution? I know many of us believe there is no too much caution, and I sure would not engage on longer trips before further verification, but maybe he deverves a chance to be tested along the coast not far from dock ?

Ayuh,..... You have corroded wirin' connections somewhere,...... probably the grounds,....

the main ones I checked, so you mean tester, mirror and searchlight instead of a new starter ... any hint where to start beyond the obvious ones (all grounds that visibly go to the engine I tested ok, clean 0 Ohm) ...

Back