Logo

2000 Honda 90 Lean Condition

moneyruns

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a Honda 90 that is having a lean fuel condition. Fuel bulb pumps up tight, engine starts fine. Engine idles fine and can even rev it up out of gear and it purs like a kitten. Put the engine in drive and it will accelerate until about 1700. From 1700-2000 the engine wants to just cut out with throttle input. If I add a touch of choke I can get above 2000 rpm and the motor will then power on up to the max rpm without cutting out.

To me this sounds like not enough fuel in carbs. The following is what I have changed in that order and had little to no improvement of this condition.
1. Fuel primer bulb
2. New fuel lines
3. Took the carbs off and cleaned in ultrasonic machine. Removed all jets and cleaned them very well
4. Anti Siphon valve

Would my next direction be fuel pumps? Or maybe the connection coming out of the top of the gas tank? I am lost at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You failed to mention fuel filter replacement?

As far as the pumps are concerned, assuming they haven;t been contaminated from sand or something (as in run with no filter) they're generally pretty sturdy. You don't see many having too much trouble with them.

Ya I change that as well with the fuel primer bulb.

After doing more research, I think my next move is to get a little 5 gallon tank and run new lines from it to the motor. If that works with no issues, then I know I have a issue with the tank. After that I am not sure what to do haha.

Thank you for your input.

Back