Logo

Ok new guy here. I saw somebody said they hate 4 storkes YEP

Gasngo

Well I have read a few posts from earlier threads but I still need some help. First I have a 50 hp Honda circa 2000 ish Im guessing. If I post the serial can someone help with the production date. The dreaded bog down issue at higher RPM. Carbs cleaned in a sonic machine and new jets. It ran decent on first few runs then falls off. I see mention of fuel lines sucking air in a previous post and yes under the hood is still Orig. and I do believe the line from the Q Disc. is possibly seeping so replace time. That being said I have tuned and synced and just when I thought I had it same thing. One thing to add # 1 carb mixture screw turned all the way in lean up and RPM increases. #2 & 3 it will die. Im thinking I have junk in the #1. Fuel tank, hose and bulb new. Under hood orig. Im all ears.

Cheers Brad

People make the mistake of cleaning carbs and nothing else. The whole fuel system needs to be spotlessly clean from tank to carburettor or you're just wasting your time. Four stroke jets are very small, so clog easily, especially the smaller engines. However, once they're fixed the economy is appreciated.

Regarding the year, Honda hasn't made much of an attempt to distinguish model years. It's nearly impossible to know for sure, and generally it doesn't make any difference anyway. The parts are the same from 2004 or so on back. Lower units, intake, cranks, rods, pistons and many other parts are identical from 35-50 hp from 2004 back.

Thanks for the input. As I mentioned the fuel tank to motor is all new. Whats under the hood is original and ya I should have replaced that. Im pretty sure I see a damp spot on the fuel line to filter which tells me its at least seeping. Whats your thoughts on the #1 carb climbing in RPM when I turn the mixture screw in. In all logic it should start to die like the others. Ill post the serial number here shortly and I plan on getting fuel hose replaced under the hood.

I don't have any idea where you are at with your idle mixture adjustments. I usually start at about 2.5 turns. They should match top to bottom.

If you have just 1 carb responding differently than the others, it's a pretty safe bet you have something going on within that carb. Roughly translated, that means time to get your hands dirty. You are due to clean a set of carbs.

Ya thats my plan. Ill change the hoses under the hood. As I said previously the carbs where cleaned in a machine and with my best ability to sync with mismatch gauges it turned out pretty good. But after a few hours of run time it just started to fall off on the top end. Mid throttle not so bad. As for the mix setting ya they where around 2 and a 1/4. I read some older post and I found it interesting that Hondadude if he is still out there said 2003 was 1 turn and 2004 was 2.5. Im thinking the bottom carb picked something up. Ill play with it over the weekend a report back.

I would suggest you not assume a parts cleaner is going to do the job for you. There's nothing quite like a little "quality time" with a can of carb cleaner and compressed air when it comes to a quality carb cleaning. If you can see through every orifice and blow through every passage, only then do you know you have a clean carb.....

Well just thought I would keep this alive instead of starting a new thread. So my question is proper cleaning chemical for the carbs. The reason I ask is the Mech. at the Honda shop/dealer was helpful in regards to parts and advise and he said that carb cleaners cause the finish to break down is the best way I can describe it. It ends up with a powder type build up. Again my best description.

Thanks Brad

Back