Logo

125 Force

Hello, new here.
I have a 1989. 125hp Force outboard. Starts and runs fine. Will not go into forward or reverse, new lower unit. Was told that adjusting the shift rod could fix this issue, but having a hard time. Looking for advice or tricks or something. Help please.

How about some more info.....we have to have something to go on! History on this problem and who told you, and what is the why and when on the new lower unit, where did you get it and what is it's history, who did the replacement, and did they (you) have a service manual, problems during installation, alignment of shift mechanism in engine to lower unit..........to start with.

Purchased 2 years ago, used once. The motor ran well but bucked in reverse. I called the person that I bought from and he said that he had the lower unit rebuild. I called the shop to verify and they said they would adjust but being 2+ hours away, I thought that I would do myself. That is where I stand now. Due to other issues it has sat for awhile but started fine. I am adjusting the shift rod but can't seam to find the sweet spot. Thanks for the response, sorry not a lot of history. I do have a service manual.

If you can remove the remote cable and get it to shift by moving the engines shift lever by hand, your problem is in the remote control.

The cable, if normal for Commander 2000 and 3000 remotes, has a barrel/threaded outer conductor, on both ends and you can make length adjustments on bot ends. Sounds like you need to open your control box and adjust that end.....remember any time you shift into reverse, the engine has to be running or the prop has to be turning....by hand. Cog and slot engagement.....have to be lined up for shifter to engage....forcing will damage mechanism...per manual.

Back