Logo

Year maintenance for longevity

Dlobb333

My boat has marine power 5.7 engine. I’m tired of losing weeks of my summer because boat is in shop. I’m trying to put together a list of what maintenance I can do each year to have the boat running smooth as summer.

Here is my list so far:

1) oil and filter change
2) new fuel filter
3) new impeller
4) new cap and rotor
5) change all spark plugs
6) chance spark wires
7) chance all ballast bag impellers

Anything else that should be added? Again I’m not looking for the minimum I need to do but the maximum I can do to ensure a smooth summer.

My boat has marine power 5.7 engine. I’m tired of losing weeks of my summer because boat is in shop. I’m trying to put together a list of what maintenance I can do each year to have the boat running smooth as summer.

Here is my list so far:

1) oil and filter change
Run the engine just after the oil/filter change.
This allows the new fresh oil to enter all oil galleys, and for you to check for leaks, etc.

2) new fuel filter
Yes.
You may also want to add fuel stabilizer to the filter cartridge, and then run the engine for a short while.

3) new impeller
Not at this time.
If you install a new impeller during winter lay-up, it will sit for the duration with several of the blades/vanes folded over at the impeller cam.
This causes them to take what we call a "set". The vanes may never completely recover from it.

4) new cap and rotor
If need be, yes!

5) change all spark plugs
If carbureted, you may be Fogging this engine, in which case I'd wait until spring time for the new spark plugs.
If fuel injected, you will NOT be fogging it.
See ** below.

6) chance spark wires
If need be, yes.

7) chance all ballast bag impellers
Is this a wake board boat with ballast bags?
If so, again..... do not install flexible vane impellers at this time. There is no need to let these sit at rest during the lay-up.

Anything else that should be added? Again I’m not looking for the minimum I need to do but the maximum I can do to ensure a smooth summer.

** If fuel injected, we DO NOT fog in the conventional sense.
Instead, you may want to add fuel stabilizer to the fuel filter cartridge, re-install it, and then operate the engine long enough to introduce the mixture into the fuel delivery system.... similar to #2 above.

Suggestions:

Check your V-belts or serpentine belt.

Allow a maintenance charger or battery tender to keep your batteries up to snuff.
NO Trickle Chargers!
(lead/acid type batteries do not like to be left in a SOD for any length of time)

For your last run of the season, use Non-E gasoline.

Depending on your climate, make sure to drain all areas of any water that may freeze, expand and cause damage.

If you have removed any drain plugs, etc, put them in a baggy and strap it to the helm wheel.

If you have done something that you may forget about come spring time, make a note to yourself and place it at/near the helm area.

Back