Logo

Oil for Yamaha V6 200 from 2002

During navigation the connection from the outside oil tank to the engine's internal oil tank broke, right at the connection with the internal 2 stroke oil reservoir. I realized sth. wrong when the engine went into protection, the oil was exactly at the lower mark. Refilled by hand from the main tank, ran allright to the port ... but I need to keep going, am in Bonifacio, Corsica, no chance to find spares. What is my best option? Keep refilling the internal tank with oil or add 2 stroke oil to the fuel (in this case, how do I override the cutoff?)? I know it is ugly, if at all possible, to override a security feature, but I do not know how much I can go with the oil from upper to lower marker and am scared to open the engine and refill oil on the open sea .... What do you think is the best option ? Need to travel 40 mls home, sea is not rough but enough choppy to possibly have salt water reach the open engine. Thanks!

Keep refilling the main oil tank until you can get home and get a replacement tank.

Run the motor until the alarm sounds. Stop and refill the tank. Repeat as necessary.

If it were me I would have someone hold the hose onto the broken fitting with the fitting being held to the tank. While the toggle switch is pressed to turn the oil pump on. Might be messy but less chance of any oil contamination.

Cruise home at your best economy setting to minimize the use of oil.

Keep refilling the main oil tank until you can get home and get a replacement tank.

Run the motor until the alarm sounds. Stop and refill the tank. Repeat as necessary.

If it were me I would have someone hold the hose onto the broken fitting with the fitting being held to the tank. While the toggle switch is pressed to turn the oil pump on. Might be messy but less chance of any oil contamination.

Thank you ! Sounds just like what I intended to do. One screw of the tank is hidden and needs a long 10mm key that I do not have handy, so I cannot reach the end of the cut off hose. But refilling seems no big problem assuming calm waters. Just refilled, cruised 6 test miles @ 3000 rpm and measured 100 ml used, i. e. 1/8 of the main tank capacity ... such that refilling before crossing over to Sardinia would get me to a safe place. Hope I can trust the cutoff and not check the oil level ! Should I add 1% of oil to the gas tank for good measure ??

Spontaneously, we left Corsica yesterday around 4 ... rough sea but worse forecast, and using just the main oil tank we arrived close to destination after 25 miles for a refill which actually was not necessary, as the level was still way above the low mark. That means that the main oil capacity is good for something like 40 miles ! So no problem there. Only twice the engine cut off during (towards the endof) navigation, evidently because the rough sea caused the swimmer in the oil tank to report temporarily wrong readings and, since I was expecting this, I obviously checked the main tank and precautiously refilled the tank. It was my scare to have to refill and have an open engine in front of breakers ... but all went well and I thank you again for the support !

Thank you for the feedback. Glad it all worked out well for you.

thanks to you !! main tank is replaced now ... three Yamaha dealers could not locate that part not even with engine's serial, a Honda dealer told me those tanks are common to all big 2 stroke Yamahas since 1990 and gave me a working spare one, after he thoroughly cleaned it ... for free !!

Back