Logo

Distributer Cap and Rotor?

adams1354

Hi. Newbie here. 2007 Crownline LS with 350 Mag MPI, motor serial #1A041321

I just bought this boat and have only taken it out twice, it broke down on the water Sunday with my family on board. Luckily we were only 300 yds from shore, so paddled to a dock and got a tow from vessel assist back to the ramp.

I have been trouble shooting what the problems could be and researching threads on this forum for help, which they have been very helpful. I started with fuel system and all cursory checks showed up nothing. Fuel pressure at the manifold pipe nipple was 40 psi. So. i decided to check the distributor cap since it was right there, the wires and plugs look brand new. I unscrewed the cap with a small torx driver, lifted the cap up out of the way and there was the plastic rotor? sitting of to the side, not screwed down and a piece of plastic broken off to the side. I know this is NOT how a rotor should look and this is my problem!

I know i'm going to have to buy a new rotor and cap, question is, what else should I be checking for damage and might need to be replaced? There is a small magnetic thing in there that had metal shavings all over it. I blew the distributor area out with mild compressed air and it appears to look ok to me.

I tried to add a photo but it didn't work.

Thoughts?

Suggest with a 15 year boat, you should go through the entire engine doing maintenance items, which includes disti's parts, before even stepping on the water. Start with the maintenance shown in the owners manual, tune-up, lube

Nope, same cap much different cost
Distributors cap and rotor kit features brass inserts and stainless steel rotor springs,designed to provide the best possible fit to ensure maximum conductivity
  • Ignition Distributor Cap Rotor GM V8 Vortec w/Flat Cap 2001-Up
  • Replaces: 898253T29 18-5247, 884790, 884792
  • xxxxxxxxx Provides the highest Quality in aftermarket parts for all your Marine needs!
  • All Instock Products ship within 1 business day of order!
  • Same Day Shipping on Most orders placed before 12:30PM Est!!

Last edited:
Nope, same cap much different cost
Distributors cap and rotor kit features brass inserts and stainless steel rotor springs,designed to provide the best possible fit to ensure maximum conductivity
  • Ignition Distributor Cap Rotor GM V8 Vortec w/Flat Cap 2001-Up
  • Replaces: 898253T29 18-5247, 884790, 884792
  • xxxxxxxxx Provides the highest Quality in aftermarket parts for all your Marine needs!
  • All Instock Products ship within 1 business day of order!
  • Same Day Shipping on Most orders placed before 12:30PM Est!!

No flame path quench port???

Thanks for all the information and replies. I did buy the Marine grade dist. cap and rotor. Here's the updated problem. When I removed the old rotor , which was not screwed down, just above one of the screw holes, someone had written "strip". Curious? Does this mean the hole it was stripped? So I placed the new rotor and inserted the very small screw and YES, it appears to be stripped! The second screw is very loose too. No wander the screws backed out and fell out. What is the fix?

Back