Logo

Need to Replace Fuel Pump

DubsVA

Specs: 2008 Alpha One Gen II 4.3L Serial #1A318368

Think I have a fuel pump issue as I recently replaced the Carb Fuel Filter (the one there was clean but went ahead an put new one in since I had bought it) but the boat still wants to almost shutoff when I accelerate from one-click past idle to full acceleration (think pulling a skier or tuber).

Found out that I needed Flare nut wrenches to work with Fuel connections so bought some however they are too long and hitting one of the wheels that the drive belt is on and cant get any of the fuel line nuts going to the the Fuel pump loose. Was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what they may have done to address this?

Take the line off at the carb so you can rig up a T and buy or borrow a fuel pressure gauge. Test the fuel pressure before you go replacing the pump. If you have 3-6 psi or so it’s not the pump.

if pressure is ok I’d look more to carb rebuild This is most likely given your description. Do you get two good streams of fuel From accelerator pump down the carb bores when someone pumps the throttle? Your symptoms are classic accelerator pump circuit issues.

if pressure is low things to look at
Fuel filter canister down by pump
antisiphon valve on tank
any debris in tank and pick up tube

and cant get any of the fuel line nuts going to the the Fuel pump loose. Was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what they may have done to address this?

Ayuh,..... Generally speakin',.... Bein' a boat mechanic involves removin' all the stuff in yer way, to get to what ya wanta Fix,......

'n I agree,..... it sounds more like a carb issue,....

Thanks for the replies. Been hectic busy so apologies for not updating and thanking sooner.

Here's the latest: decided to check all my spark plug wires to make sure a good fit etc etc and as I did I found that the throttle cable was extremely loose so I tightened it up and goodness I could barely move the throttle it was so tight. Came back here and saw in the manual that after you tighten you need to loosen a bit so great I did and since then the issue is this.

a. Fire up the boat for first time of the day no issue starting, warm it up by going through a large no wake area and then get to open the throttle. Boat sputters and spurts then goes. This is the only time this behavior happens, just the first time I give it a nice throttle up each day. After that I can start and stop all day long with no sputters. I do experience at times (may 3-5 times this year out of 25 outings) that when I cut the engine off the engine sputters and spurts and then when it does shutoff a puff of air/smoke comes out the flame arrestor that smells like oil.

b. Boat seems sluggish. I am not getting much past 3500RPMs or 34MPH at full throttle. Previous owner (father-in-law) says should be able to get to 5200RPMs.

c. I've noticed that the trim at all the way down goes even slower RPMs and MPH wise. The readings I gave in b are with the trim at 3/4

Not sure if this is all one issue or several so appreciate any feedback. Having to be my own mechanic right now as all the mechanics with 100 miles are backed up so bad they don't call or email back. I am a novice mechanic at best having worked on cars with my dad growing up so spark plugs and things like that I can do. Rebuild of carb seems overwhelming to me as has been suggested. Not sure if those who answered previously think this is still the case or not.

Back