Logo

93 5.7 Alpha 1 gen 2 - question about coil

Biggyniner

Hi Saw another thread on here about this and i am confused.

My 5.7 Alpha One Gen 2 has the Thunderbolt 4 ignition and I think it has a coil going bad. I looked up the official part number and the coil says to be used with external resistor. I do not see an external resistor anywhere and if I understand should be needed only for points ignition. Does anyone know why it would say use with external resistor??

Thanks

I can’t answer the external/ internal resistor question But if it used to work with that coil replace it with the same style.

id ohm primary and secondary sides of the coil before you go and buy a new one. While coils do fail they are often replaced with onto little diagnosis.

Ayuh,...... It's almost never the coil,.....

Yea, I agree - Normally the only time I have replaced a coil is when they were leaking.

I'm chasing a weird problem. The engine is new with great compression and new heads. I seem to be chasing a rich condition and weak spark. It has a new 1409 Edelbrock, new cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Carb idle mixture set and choke adjusted. Someone on another forum had basically the same issue and it was resolved by changing the trigger assembly in the distributor. I just figure I'd also replace the coil as well as the trigger, basically run all new ignition components.

Back