Logo

Detroit Diesel Gray Marine model 371 transmission

psampair

Hello
I have a unique transmission problem I would like to know if you can help.
I have a Graymarine Detroit Diesel with an OEM attached transmission from about 1938. The transmission is a Joe Gear but has 2 parts that need replacing. We have not been able to locate the parts, a damper type plate with brass bushing and the cast iron gear cone. Both are damaged and this old a transmission has the gear drive of the transmission is female and not the newer male type with the gear spindle , a male end protruding from the tranny to go into the engine.
So any chance you have any Joe Gear sources for parts? OR
any other transmission that will fit the protruding male gear drive of the motor crank

This is for a historical renovation of a 1940 Johnson Motorcruiser which is completely renovated both wood work and motor but no tranny yet.
It will float but it’s not going anywhere . Thanks Pete

Man! I'm sorry I can't point you in the right direction. There's probably a complete trans sitting in a barn someplace but it might be a true miracle to find it. Individual parts were probably scrapped decades ago.

Keep haunting waterfronts and try to get lucky.

Any photos of the boat you care to post?

Good luck!

Oh WOW!
She's beautiful!
Very unique too!
I don't think I've ever seen another.
I will definitely keep my eyes open for one of those transmissions.
I'm always looking at equipment and parts so you never know.
Good luck with getting her making a wake.

there's a handful of 'smart' people on the old gray marine product line over at oldmarineengine.com that may be able to point you to a gear and parts...there are also a few that have www sites that specialize in old gray restorations and parts...no first hand experience there...

Back