Logo

BF225 Fuel Issue

DavidF5783

I have an 07 BF 225, motor has been great, but lately I have had issues after motor has been shut off for an hr or 2, I get back up to cruise and within 2 minutes or so, engine starts bucking and seems to run out of fuel, sometimes it will die, sometimes it will stay idling. Normally starts right back up, yesterday I had to push throttle up in neutral to get it to hit. After that, no more issues all day, even after sitting for 2 hrs, on two more occassions. Its very intermittent, but always after I've been sitting for some time, after its been run. Never had it do it off the trailer or anything. Yesterday, was a 12 mile run, fish for 2 hrs, 12 mile run, fish for an hr or so, and then bam. Two more spots that day, and never happened again all day.There is no check engine light, no beeping or anything. Engine performs perfectly otherwise and no other indicators.

These kind of intermittent problems are a real PITA to track down.

You stated: "yesterday I had to push throttle up in neutral to get it to hit." What do you mean by that?

Your description sounds like a possible vapor lock. When was the last time you drained the VST? It should be done at every 100 hour maintenance interval.

The VST has a water jacket on it which is supposed to keep the fuel cool and prevent vapor lock. Try to get to the two hoses that go in and out of that water jacket and make sure that there are no obstructions and water flows through it freely. Check the hoses for crimps or deterioration. If in doubt, replace them.

See #12 at: https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...225ak0-la-2007-and-later/vapor-separator-assy

When is the last time the high pressure fuel filter was changed. These engines are very sensitive to a partially clogged or partially collapsed hp fuel filter.

When neutral, I had to push throttle up to increase idle in order for it to hit. I don't know if it was just coincidence but thats when it fired. I've had this happen maybe half dozen times and this was the first time I had to do that. Normally, by the time I idle down myself, or int the few times it has stalled, like yesteday, it fires right back up, and like I said never anymore issues that day typically. I have never drained the VST, and the prior owner used it very little, I would guess probably didn't do it either. The 2 hoses, are they on the front side of the water jacket? It looks like two nipples one above the other looking at the microfiche you provided. HP filter wasn't changed either, so I definitely need to do that.

My memory is a bit fuzzy about the nipples for the water tubes, but I think they are facing inward.

If that VST has not been drained for a long time (or ever) you may have a difficult time getting the set screw opened. Spray liberally with PB Blaster or similar penetrating oil. Let it soak for an hour or so, then put a properly fitting flat blade screwdriver into the slot, and use a hammer on the top of the screwdriver and tap, tap, tap.....tap, tap. Repeat until you can open it up. Once it's loose, place the clear plastic drain hose in a clear jar. Turn on the key switch for a couple of seconds to charge the pressure and slowly open the set screw. You may get as much as a pint or more of fuel, water, and gunk out of there. Be patient, it takes a while for it all to drain. If nothing comes out, blow compressed air back up the drain tube and try again. If the drain screw cannot be opened up, then you will need to remove the entire VST and work on it on the bench. Of course, that will give you good access to the water jacket. And, if you go that far, you might want to consider replacing the float and needle valve inside the VST. See pats ! & 2 at: https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...225ak0-la-2007-and-later/vapor-separator-assy.

The set screw is part #5 in that diagram. And, if you open up the VST, be sure to use new gaskets.

I've read a few things in here about people going as far as replacing the VST. Assuming worst case I can't get it to drain and have to remove it and open it, clean and reseal, what would make me need to go as far as to change it? Also, how often to replace the HP and LP fuel filters? I put a few hundred hours a year typically, and replace the Racor every 100 hr, do I do them at the same time?

The only reasons you would need to replace the VST is (1) if the water jacket corrodes through to the fuel chamber, (2) that you bugger up the drain screw so bad that it can be used, or (3) the needle valve seat will not seal.

I'm a maintenance freak, so I change the HP filter every 100 hours. Every 200 hours or annually, whichever comes first is probably OK. Low pressure filter gets replaced every 200 hours. Racor filter gets changed every 200 hours, but I drain it at every 100 hour maintenance, and sometimes in between, depending on the trustworthiness of the fuel source. That 10 micron Racor filter is your very best defense against bad, dirty, old fuel.

It's been my experience that even if the Racor and LP filter are doing their job, the HP filter still seems to deteriorate and turn black. Not sure why that is but probably due to the rubber hoses between the LP filter and the VST, and because of the pressures on it.

Back