Logo

B100 (10HP) hard to pull starter rope

bracketdude

I have an older B100 (10HP) that has recently (this summer) become hard to pull start. It pulls easy with plugs out, but it is hard to overcome compression with them in. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help or what might be happening?

Thanks!!

She has probably jumped time. You will need to inspect the timing belt condition and also look at the timing marka to see if they line up properly.

In the meantime, STOP trying to turn the engine over in this condition. You can bend the valves or damage the pistons.

I can guide you in checking the timing but shop manuals for these outboards aren't expensive and can often be found for sale, used, locally using onliine sales sites like Craigslist and Facebook as well as ebay.

The manual is easier to understand and trust than free online advice.
Plus, if timing does check out, you will likely be pulling the head to find out what's causing this and you will definitely need to have the manual for doing that chore.

Last edited:
Remove lower unit.---Then see if it pull easier again.-----When was gear oil changed last ?----Any water found in gearcase ?----How was motor stored ?------How high is oil level in the engine ?----Any chance that gasoline is leaking into the crankcase oil ?

She has probably jumped time. You will need to inspect the timing belt condition and also look at the timing marka to see if they line up properly.

I have the service manual for the motor. I will check the timing. Is it as simple as looking at the timing marks? My suspicion is that old gas may have gunked up the cylinders and valves etc. Would this cause increased compression?

I will check the gear oil this weekend. I think it was changed last year when I changed the impeller and seals. I probably didn't check it this year becaues of that.

How would I know if water is getting in the crankcase oil?

I can not see your motor or how it is mounted , adjusted and stored.--------If oil level is high there is a possibility that oil works into the cylinder and cause the problems you have.---This should not be hard to figure out.

Back