Logo

Brand new 8hp won’t start? Any tips?

MtnLake

Hi folks,
just brought home a new 2020 8hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Set the oil level, set up fuel lines With arrows pointing to motor, primed, choked, handle at start position.....prolly 75-100 pulls and nothing. I hope I’m missing something.
Are these known to take a while to get fuel thru the carb first time? I pulled the plug and it had a lil bit of gas on it I think. It sounded like no spark. Even shot a lil squirt of starting fluid in the intake just to try to get a bump, and nothing. Kill tether is in place to run. I’m kinda frustrated. I can rebuild motorcycles top to bottom with my eyes closed, but I SUCK at outboards....hence the purchase of a brand new one. I guess that hasn’t cured my Outboard woes now either.

Take it back to the dealer.------Did they not run it for you , show you how to operate this motor ?
Well....actually I just went and picked it up. Ugh 😩 that’ll learn me. I bought it yesterday which was a Sunday and the place was only open till 12noon, a few hours away with a ferry ride en route. I got there close to closing time. Sadly, I figured I’d have a handle on the initial procedure to get it running. My mistake. I’ll call the dealer today, the guy was nice enough and seemed pretty legit. Hopefully I can figure this out without driving back, but I will if I gotta.
I drove home with the motor on it’s side, tiller handle down, as I was told to. Is that the correct method? I’m wondering if oil can work it’s way somewhere it shouldn’t? Gonna try again this AM after calling.....if no luck then I’ll drive back to Drummond Isle to see what’s up.

Up and running. Switched to a new gas tank, that fixed it. Im usually pretty good at this stuff, & still don’t know why the old one wouldn’t go....but hey, like I said, I’m no pro at outboards. Damndest thing.

Back