Logo

How to replace a frost plug

Larry Baloun

I have a 2008 4.3 ltr tks mercruiser that is spewing water from the front right frost plug which is behind the motor mount. How do I get at it and how do I replace it?

If it was correctly winterized you should not have to replace a "CORE PLUG"
Remove the drive, jack up motor, remove motor mount, drive in new core plug with the correct size socket, install mount, remove jack, check alignment, install drive.
Realize the block and manifolds have been compromised and may also have cracks, external and internal

Prior to storing in the fall I removed the 5 blue drain plugs and the square intake manifold drain plug, drained and replaced plugs and bolt ...so I don't understand how this could happen. How do you check for other damage and how do you "realign"?

anytime a motor is disturbed you must check engine alignment with the alignment bar.If not correct it leads to coupler failure. When you removed the plugs did you probe the holes to insure drainage?

I thought I checked for drainage .... possibly missed checking one. Do you need to remove leg to check alignment? I don't own an alignment bar is this omething a DIYer should tackle?

Alternative you could support the engine from above off a beam, tree, couple of 2x6s off the gunnels ... just take the weight off so you can remove the mount to access it

Back