Logo

Alarm went off!

Johnnymax

We took our boat out for the first time. Everything was going fine. We ran around for quite a while to test it out. Then we stopped and floated around a while with the motor idling, while we ate lunch. When I took off, it did not want to turn over 4000 rpms. I pulled it back and headed to the dock. I tried several times to she if she would open up, but it seemed to be surging. Almost to the dock the an alarm went off. We tied up to the dock and killed the motor. I went to get the truck and trailer. When I started it up the alarm was not going off. Are there alarms for multiple things, or just one, running hot?
It is a 2015, 250 4-cycle Honda outboard. Is there any way to pull codes or something to know what happened?
Water was pumping out the whole time. I kept a eye on that.

I got the code.... I think?
It was a quick flash with a pause over a second.
So, I assume it is code one.... Or was it code 10?
If it is the Oxygen sensor, where is it located?

There is no code 10. Your best procedure is to clear codes. Then run the engine and see if a code 1 returns. Some times there will just be a non-repeatable random code. Also, be aware that a code 1 can be generated by a misfiring plug, or failing coil, or fuel pressure out of spec. So check those things first before spending the big bucks on a new HO2 sensor.

I ran by my local Honda Marine dealer at lunch.
They put my serial number in the computer. The O2 sensor is a know problem.
They called the Honda warranty department and the emissions warranty was extended, because of the O2 sensor problem.
They will change it under warranty. :)

Back