Logo

2002 Mercruiser 5 liter MPI Hydolock

joedm2000

I'm new owner of a 2002 Bayliner Capri Sport with a 5 liter Mercruiser (about 500 hours). I took the boat out about a month ago and hit a rock with the outdrive which stalled to motor. Would not start after 3 - 4 attempts (starter just engaged and clicked once). The motor appeared to be locked. I tried one more time and it started and ran fine for about an hour. After an hour of running fine (engine vitals were good too), the motor rumbled to a stall from about 2500 -3000 rpm. At this point, it would not start (same thing as before -- starter just engaged and clicked once). Got a tow back and brought the boat to a mechanic with the engine still locked. He removed the outdrive, starter and plugs and got the motor to turn and found water in the cylinders and in the oil. At this point, I took the boat back for the mechanic to work on it myself with guidance from the mechanic and did the following to try to fix the issue:

1) drained the water from the block
2) Pressure tested the engine block with 10psi (pressure was rock solid for an hour then I ended the test))
3) Pressure tested both exhaust manifolds by blocking off the Raiser mounting area with a rubber gasket with 20psi (pressure was rock solid for an hour then I ended the test)
4)I did not test the Raisers, but I had the mechanic look at them and he felt they were fine.
5) replaced the Raiser gaskets and torqued down the raisers at 33 ft pounds.
6)replaced the starter (old one locked up) and dried out the plugs and put them back in
7)attached the outdrive.
7)Ran motor on muffs and started and ran fine. (did this multiple times)
8Changed oil to get the water out of it.
9)Took the boat out on the water three separate times for about 1.5 hours and it ran great (starting and stopping multiple times).

The forth time on the water it ran fine for about 2 hours pulling a tube for about an hour. I Shut the motor down for about 5 minutes and started it back up. Ran fine for about 10 - 15 seconds at about 2000 rpm and died. The motor was locked and would not start.
I have done the following this second time around:

1)I pulled the plugs and the motor turned with the starter, but it was not smooth and would still lock up after a couple of revolutions.
2)I injected oil into the cylinders and to motor would turn a few more revolutions and lock up.
3)I noticed water coming out of one of the cylinders on the starboard side when turning the motor
4)I drained the block of water and injected more oil in that one cylinder and the motor is spinning fine now.
5)Did compression test on all cylinders and they range from 140 to 120psi and the one cylinder with the water was 130psi.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this Hydolock issue? I hope I was not too verbose. I'm also concerned that the motor was not turning all that freely when the spark plugs were removed. It was not until I drained the block that I got the motor to spin freely.

Thank you!!!!!!

Back