Logo

Honda BF25A Water in Oil

Twokupz

Have a 25hp BF25a that has milky oil. Believe it is a 97-98.

was getting ready to do head gasket and had mechanic friend come over to help. He is not an outboard mechanic but figured he could help. He wasn’t convinced it was head gasket because compression tested fine and engine runs great.

he decided to test other things and hooked muffs up to see if water would get in oil without it running and it did. He believes it might be the oil pan gasket or water line grommet.

does anyone have experience with this enough to know if that is a higher probability or if it is more likely to be something else?

I have a lot of experience working on the 35-90 hp "salties" (engines run in salt water), but not the smaller ones like you have. Based on that experience, if it were me, I would pull the head. You're much more likely to find the source of your evil there vs. the base/oil pan gasket in my experience. You'll want to check out the gasket of course, but also pay close attention to the areas that the gasket must seal to. There may be an area, on the head or the block, that's corroded away to the point it's impossible for the gasket to seal it.

The block is not a complete disaster if you have the time and patience. Those (and the heads) can be found on ebay at a price that makes the rebuild economical. Use your crank, rods, and pistons over again.

thank you alan. I just don’t have much experience when it comes to this stuff. “Enough knowledge to be dangerous.”

This may take some time to work through, but I will try to post an update.

I have a lot of experience working on the 35-90 hp "salties" (engines run in salt water), but not the smaller ones like you have. Based on that experience, if it were me, I would pull the head. You're much more likely to find the source of your evil there vs. the base/oil pan gasket in my experience. You'll want to check out the gasket of course, but also pay close attention to the areas that the gasket must seal to. There may be an area, on the head or the block, that's corroded away to the point it's impossible for the gasket to seal it.

The block is not a complete disaster if you have the time and patience. Those (and the heads) can be found on ebay at a price that makes the rebuild economical. Use your crank, rods, and pistons over again.

Back