Logo

2013 bayliner 215br mercruiser 5.0 stalled on the lake

Jbizelli1

On lake McConaughy a week ago, went well until the last day, rough water, went to restart the boat after swimming for a bit it started and stalled, and kept doing that for about 15-20 minutes, called for a tow, decided to try it one more time, fired up and ran perfectly, got back to the slip, docked for about two hours before getting the trailer to yank it out of the water to leave, started fine, about half way to the trailer it started running crappy again, and barely made it to the trailer. Anyone had anything like this happen to this particular set up? Side note, I had just filled the fuel tank the morning of the day this nonsense started. I am an auto tech, there are more similarities than aren't, but I just wanted to pick some brains before I jump into diagnostics, thanks in advance.

Ayuh,..... Examine the Contents of the fuel filter for anything but clean fresh gasoline,.....

Fuel was clean, no water, checked the fuel pressure, it was lower than spec, idles but very low dies when you throttle up, swapped fuel pump relay out when I replaced the fuel pump, (old one was howling) still the same issue, checking voltages at the pump when its running to see if there is a drop. Maybe an oil pressure switch...

It is an MPI, and just checked the IAC, it seems to be stuck open, creating a huge vaccum leak/sound, I dont have a scanner for this boat, but I imagine its intermittently working, its a little bit different design that what I have seen in the automotive world so now I search for this part..... On a better note fuel pressure is now normal, pump is quiet and voltages are solid and within spec, can't seem to find ohm specs for the iac, but will keep looking.

Back