Logo

1999 Yamaha T50TLRX leaking water from front of case

rmarkin

Hello,

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue where water is leaking from the front of the motor where the lower and upper meet. There is a small gap between the cases which appears to be by design but it's not obvious why water would ever be in this cavity. The area I'm attempting to describe is directly in front of the water pump. The pump has been serviced and everything is good there. The amount of water that comes out is at least the same as is coming out of the pee tube if not more.

I'll attempt to post some pics and a video if possible.

Thanks,
Robert

Attachments

• water_leak.jpg
    water_leak.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! Can you explain if possible why water water run out there instead of being used to cool the engine?

Robert

Do not overthink this.-----Agreed it is normal !------Perhaps this water has already gone through the motor and is now draining back to the lake.------Question is asked many times.---

Thank you very much for the replies. It doesn't seem like I'm overthinking it, but either way. It may be normal but it was concerning to me which is why I asked.

With that said, I tracked it down and determined where the water is coming from and I confirmed that it hasn't flowed through the engine yet. It is leaking out of the top of the water pump between the water pump housing and the drive shaft. Since it doesn't appear there is a seal in that area, I can only assume that either "it's normal" or my water pump housing is worn out and there is too large of a gap. I will try replacing the housing since there is more water leaking out of this area than there is flowing through the engine.

The attached picture is where it's leaking from, (not my actual housing though).

Thanks,
Robert

water-pump-housing.jpg

Back