Logo

5.7 GI Fuel Pressure Issue? Unstable Fuel Pressure at rail

Kmin

Hello all,

This is my first time posting and trying to work on my fathers boat (and keep it out of the shop)
We have what I believe is a fuel pressure issue on his 2002 Chaparral 242 Sunesta with a 5.7 GI Volvo Penta Dual Prop I/O. It just started this year after pulling out of storage

Symptoms:
- The engine will start no problem but can be felt chugging at low RPMS. At higher RPMs it is less noticeable but the boat is still only getting about 50% power (used to do 45mph now tops out at 25mph)
- The engine responds and increases throttle but if you throw it back to idle or neutral the engine dies out.

Troubleshooting:
- We replace the fuel/water separator (no change)
- Clean spark plugs. These did not appear to be in bad shape. Normal discoloration (no change)
- Added seafoam to gasoline (no change)
- Used a screwdriver to feel that all injectors were firing. Some felt lighter than others but all could be felt clicking
- Checked the fuel pressure on the rail. The fuel pressure bounced between 50-54 PSI when under load so it was not stable which i would expect it to be.
- Replaced the fuel pressure regulator. When we did this, the boat would not start at all unless we gave it throttle and would not stay running unless we kept the throttle up. I got this part from a dealer so I would hope they gave me the right one.
- Reinstalled old fuel pressure regulator since the new one seemed to make the issue worse.
- Checked the impeller. It is in good shape.

Next steps:
I've done a ton of digging but can't find any other examples of where the pressure was not stable at the rail. I would like to say the fuel pump itself needs replaced but if the pump is outputting anything higher than 50 psi I would expect the pressure regulator should hold it stable. So I am at a loss.

Thanks for any suggestions
-Kyle

Back